Galactica!


Ben voyons donc! 
Maintenant que vous me connaissez, vous savez bien que, en voyant ce tissu qui s'appelle très poĂ©tiquement Galactica mais qui est très influencĂ© par Barbarella, j'ai eu une envie urgente de faire quelque chose avec!
Le problème, c'est que je voyais pas ce que je pouvais faire pour moi alors j'ai envoyĂ© un message Ă  mes amis collectionneurs de chemises de style hawaĂŻen et je les ai suppliĂ© de me laisser coudre pour eux et ils ont acceptĂ©. Puis, j'ai mis un petit message sur FB et d'autres personnes se sont manifestĂ©es. 
J'ai vraiment hâte de recevoir le tissu.
Pendant ce temps, j'ai fait quelque changements au patron pour accélérer le montage, ça vous dirait de savoir ce que j'ai fait?

Ah! Come on!
You know me. When I saw this fabric, poetically named Galactica but heavily influenced by Barbarella, I needed to make something with it!
The problem is that I didn't know what I could make for me so I sent a message to my friends who collect Aloha shirts and I begged them to let me sew for them and they said yes. Then, I posted a message on FB and more people asked for a shirt.
I really look forward to getting the fabric.
In the meantime, I tweaked the pattern for speedier sewing. Would you like to know what I did?

Les Tabliers / The Aprons


Je vous avais dis que je ferais des tabliers.
Ils sont basé sur le patron gratuit que j'ai trouvé sur le site de Martha Stewart, mais, au lieu de faire un pli pour former les poches, j'ai fait 2 parties pour ne pas gaspiller mes précieux restes de tissu et je les ai jointes avec 2 coutures et un surjet au fond.
Ils sont déjà vendu, j'aurai même pas le loisir de les essayer pour nettoyer la maison!

I told you I would be making aprons.
They are based on the free pattern I found on the Martha Stewart website, except I didn't fold the fabric, because that would have used up too much of my precious leftovers, so I made a top and a bottom part and joined them with a double row of stitches to form the pockets. 
I've already sold these, I won't even have the joy to try them out while cleaning up the house!


Vogue 8648 - La Fin / The End


Digne d'une reine, voilĂ  ce que j'en dis!
Après avoir modifié la ceinture bien trop large, je crois que j'ai réussi à faire une jolie robe d'été à porter presque partout, ou du moins digne d'un peu de tourisme à Chenonceau.
/
Fit for a queen is what I say!
After a modification to the sash, which was way too wide, I think I was successful in making a pretty dress to wear almost anywhere, or at least good enough for some tourism at Chenonceau.


Voici la ceinture avant et après, le pli au fer, c'est ce que j'ai retirĂ©, ensuite, j'ai fait des boutonnières passepoilĂ©es, une opĂ©ration que j'ai un peu "botchĂ©e" (quĂ©becois pour ratĂ©e), car c'est une dĂ©cision que j'ai prise quand la robe Ă©tait finie (tout le monde sait qu'il faut faire ça en premier!). J'ai dĂ» utiliser du Fray Check une hĂ©rĂ©sie ici. 
/
Here is the sash before and after, the iron mark representing what I took out. Then I decided once the dress was finished, that bound buttonholes would be prettier, which I kinda botched (everybody knows that they should be made first right!). I had to resort to using Fray Check which is heretic around here.


J'aime beaucoup cette robe, elle est très joyeuse, mais je ne sais pas si je vais en faire une autre, j'ai un peu l'impression que je sors du catalogue ModCloth quand je la porte. Je ne sais pas si c'est une bonne chose pour une femme de mon âge.
Mais je suis fière, le patron de départ était tellement moche.
/
I love this dress, it's a very happy dress, but I don't know if I'll be making another one. I do feel like I just came out of a ModCloth catalogue. At my age, I don't know if it's a good thing.
I'm proud though, the initial pattern is such a dud!

Vogue 8648 -The Large Hem


I may have figured it out!
I have been pinning some extra wide hemmed skirts since I saw that Vuitton leather skirt a couple of years ago wondering how it was done and I found a solution. 
An extra wide hem is difficult to do because you have to take in all of this fullness and so I tried to work around that by making a separate 18cm pattern piece for the hem which mirrors exactly the skirt's.


I made the dress, let it hang for a couple of days, marked the hemline, sewed the back and front hem band and adjusted them to the new curve on the side. I pressed the top of the hem pieces and then sewed, understitched and topstitched the new hem in place (I used the black tape on the right side as a sewing guide). 


This by no means is a tutorial as I am not entirely sure it's the right way to do this. I do think it's a good alternative to horsehair braid which is hard to come by around this part of the world and it works beautifully. 
When I walk, my knees kick the skirt in front of me just like it would on a runaway and it makes me feel like a million dollar babe.
That can't be bad! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...